Wednesday 7 March 2012

Research - "The Little Match Girl"



"The Little Match Girl" is a 2006 Disney hand drawn animated short, directed by Roger Allers. The short was based on the story by Hans Christian Anderson, and tells the story of an impoverished child trying to sell matches to survive the cold winter. Although the piece is traditionally animated, it has a similar look to what I'd hope to achieve within my third year film. Similar to my previous post discussing the old black and white photos I found, "The Little Match Girl" invokes the bleakness of winter, as well as the contrast between light and dark. The Northern Europe setting adds to this effect. I have previously stated I wish to create a "Dickensian" styled piece, and "The Little Match Girl" is able to achieve this, but while transporting the setting from Dickens' London to Russia. Rather than the story content of the piece, what I wish to take away from the short is the atmosphere it creates.






No comments:

Post a Comment